The Italian-Russian battle was expected as a highlight of the opening day in Modena. Both teams entered the court extremely motivated and focused that resulted in a thrilling point-by-point race full of powerful plays. The game was tight to 17-17, then Modena scored five points in a row taking control of scoreboard for good. Andrea Giani's continued their solid game also in the next part, they broke away with the score already at 11-8 showing their dominance on the court to reach the maximum advantage of ten points. With backs against the wall, Kuzbass Kemerovo did their best to stay in the game. Playing with full focus and power they earned a significant lead 15-10, but then Modena started to chase the score to tie at 18-18 after ace from Micah Christenson. The hosts kept the momentum jumping to 21-19. With sensational substitution from 20-year-old Paolo Porro who served two aces giving the Italians lead 24-20, they easily close the game with Luca Vettori spike.
- Great performance of Luca Vettori in the opening set as he scored as many as 8 points.
- Daniele Lavia was the best scorer of the match with 15 points and 64% of success in attack and 57% of positive receptions.
- Ivan Zaytsev was a top scorer of Kemerovo with 11 points.
- Amazing substitution and #CLVolleyM debut of Paolo Porro who served two aces in a row giving first match point for Modena.
- Leo Shoes Modena stay undefeated leader of Pool D with four wins and 11 points, once Kuzbass Kemerovo is ranked 3rd with two wins and two defeats and 3 points.
Dragan Stankovic: "In Europa sembriamo un'altra squadra, riusciamo a tirare fuori il nostro miglior gioco. Abbiamo tenuto sempre un buon livello di gioco, a parte forse l'inizio del terzo set. Dopo la bolla in Belgio siamo in vetta della classifica e oggi con Kemerovo era importante vincere. Domani il match con Varsavia potrebbe essere già decisivo per il nostro passaggio ai quarti di finali"